March 15, 2011

It Was The Worst Of Times...

So I've been debating on how to tackle this post for awhile.


And I guess I'll start with what the world has been hearing.  OMG! I just felt an earthquake! I have to interrupt what I was writing!  That was scary!  And it was just shock-waves from Shizuoka!  The building was swaying!  WTF!?!?!?

Okay, so back to what I wanted to say.  Japan is in a tragic state right now.  Off the eastern coast (just north of Tokyo) there was a 9.0 magnitude earthquake in the ocean ( I think it was 200 km away from the coast), and it resulted in a tsunami that devastated the Sendai area.  An estimated 10,000 people are dead (that's considered a low estimate), and they're having problems recovering bodies from the water because of all the debris that is still there.  The Sendai coast has dropped 70cm, and it's left water covering most of the coast and new lakes have been formed.  People can't find loved ones, and the damage seems insurmountable and endless.  And to top things off, there are problems with the nuclear reactors.

I'm no physicist, but I know that  there are 6 reactors, and they're having problems with reactors No. 1, 2 and 3.  From what I last heard, No. 1 & 3 are somewhat under "control", but they're having problems with No. 2, and today it started leaking radiation today, more than what is legally allowed.  Trace amounts (not dangerous amounts) have been found in Tokyo (South East of the Fukushima nuclear plants).  That is pretty much what I know about the situation as of right now (the short version, anyways)

Here is a map I would like you to look at:





As you can see, Osaka is very far away from Tokyo and the Sendai area.  Around 320 miles from the Fukushima Nuclear Plants (514.88 km, for those who use the metric system).  I am not in any danger right now, and I haven't been since the earthquake hit last Friday.  A lot of people see Japan as a small country (which it is), but when people in other countries see all this damage, I think they're kind of assuming that it's happening to all of Japan, but it's not.  Osaka area is very safe right now.  However, lots of damage has been done to the affected areas, and I ask you that if you can, please donate to help those people (I don't really know who through, but maybe the Red Cross?). I know that you are seeing some images on TV, but I guarantee you it isn't doing this horrific damage justice.  Oh yeah, did I mention that a volcano started going off in the south?  Don't worry, it's still really far away.  Still safe!

On a much darker note, please click on the following link:


First of all, I just want to say that this obviously isn't what the whole of America is thinking.  But these people are awful.  Nobody deserves to die.  It sucks what happened at Pearl Harbour, but nobody deserves this.  These people should take the dildos out of their vaginas/manginas, and they can shove it up their a**, where my swift kick will make sure it's lodged up there very well.  

Now, I guess I'll get on to my "lighter" subject about my house.  It was awful!  I ended up living in it for 4 days and 3 nights.  My main motivator for getting the house was to save money, but I totally overlooked the standard of living.  There was limited heating in the house, and I hated waking up and seeing my breath every morning.  Even after I had cleaned it up, I was afraid to use it.  I didn't want to bring food into the kitchen, or use the washroom, or anything.  I wasn't eating or drinking while I was there because I was so scared/upset with myself.

I was so upset with myself.  I couldn't believe it.  I had tried to make a big move to be independent, and I failed, it felt like I couldn't do anything on my own, and that I never would be able to do anything on my own. Fortunately, the school helped me get some of my money back and move back into rez last Saturday the day after the earthquake.  Actually, I never felt the earthquake that caused so much damage, but one of my friends texted me after it happened and asked if I was okay, because she didn't think my house would be able to handle that earthquake.  That was definitely the final straw to get me out of there!

Here are some pictures of my house that I took as I was packing up to go back to rez:

My Super Scary Toilet with a seat cover.  It disturbed me, but I couldn't take it 
off or else my a** would stick to the seat.


My Super Scary Shower (that blue thing is actually a bath tub. :S



My Super Scary Bathroom Sink.  Notice the shower is in the room to 
the left, the toilet to the right.  Yes that's a squeegee, cleaning was tough.



Entrance to my house



Super Scary View of my house from the entrance.  That door in the center-ish is the bedroom
that I wanted to live in, but for some reason the landlady made me take the room upstairs.


This picture and the next 2 are of the room I wanted.











A couple picks of my Creepy A** Kitchen.






View of the Lethal Stairs from the bottom



View of the Lethal Stairs from the top.



A few pictures of the bedroom I was given.











My Scary A** House from the outside.  LOOK! It's DESTINY!






My washing machine and "drying racks."



There you have it.  It might not seem so bad, but the ghosts in this house mentally destroyed me.  Being back in Seminar House feels so good.  I have a new roommate, but it's Fran, my Chilean roommate from last semester (and she rocks!).  My landlady was awesome.  We called her Obaachan (literally translates to Grandma, but in a very friendly way).  I hope her the best!

So I'll end this now.  Please keep safe!  I will do my best to also keep safe too!

Hugs and Kisses!

Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment