September 15, 2010

JITENSHA *BIKE*

Hello Again!


So yesterday I decided to invest in a bike.  I was holding back just because of waiting for the bank account to open and yadda yadda but it was time.  It was a half hour walk to school, and carrying groceries around, so it was time.  So my friend from Canada and I made a trek to a far away bike shop to buy a bike with our limited knowledge of Japanese.


Upon entering the shop, the lovely owner welcomed us in and asked what we wanted.  So we said "chuko no jitensha" and she knew what we wanted.  A used bike.  She brought us outside to 3 used bikes.  A bright shiny red one, a silver one, and a lovely cream coloured one.  I was hoping for a yellow bike, a Flying Banana, but I wasn't about to pay $150 for one of those.


So I tried out the red one, and the front was so heavy I couldn't control it.  I hopped on the silver one which was much better, and then I tried the cream bike and it was as smooth and dreamy as a Fudgeeo (FYI, those aren't in Japan).  I was sold.


A shop worker brought out another used red bike for us to test out, and while my friend tested it out, I tried to make small talk with the shop owner, when all of a sudden she turned around and grabbed me around the waist and said "Very nice body." And then she lightly took a lock of my hair in her hand and said "Very beautiful."  That was the only English she spoke.  So I bowed, fairly deeply, and said thank you very much.


We paid for our bikes and filled out the paper work for it.  She laughed at my writing because it's so heinous to look at (In English and Japanese, it's horrid).  All in all my bike cost 6500 yen (approx $80).


This bike is amazing.  I was looking for a bike exactly like it back in Canada but it was nowhere to be found.  It came with a large basket on the front, a place to put another basket on the back if I choose to buy one, a light for travelling at night, a bell to warn others, an intense kickstand and a way intense bike lock.  And it's cream coloured, so I'm still waiting to name her but any suggestions would be appreciated! I'm thinking maybe the Flying Banana Cream Pie.


It has no gears, and only one speed: Mach 3.


This bike was the greatest investment.  If I could afford to send it home to Canada in 9 months I would.  It's so great.  I can fit so many groceries in it, and I can get to anywhere important in under 10 minutes.  It's my first epic win in Japan.


And to report on today, I found my first Japanese crush.  He doesn't know my name, and I don't know his.  But he's a baseball player, and I have a thing for uniforms.  I was riding on my bike to school, so I was looking pretty fly, and him and some other baseball players were doing a warm up in the opposite direction as me.  And he was the tallest (and hottest) one of the group and I couldn't stop staring and he was staring at me so I smiled and he smiled and waved.


DESTINY!!!


I just have to see him again and figure out his name, and when he has spare time.  It will be an epic moment.  I may have to be a creeper for a while.


I've been checking out the rugby practice too because those guys are actually muscular.  But they got in trouble for waving and blowing kisses at me so I stopped creeping on that. :(


Ending thoughts for today:


1. Grocery shop after 8:00 pm, they make lots of fresh things cheaper.


2.  If you're living in Japan, GET A BIKE! It's the only way to live.


3.  I'm curious if blonde guys are having this much fun in Japan as I am.  My ego is going to burst through the roof.  Well I really hope it's not getting to me, but I'm digging the attention.  That doesn't happen in Canada.


4.  Don't forget! Give me suggestions to name my new bike!


That's all for now! Jaa Matta! *See you later!*

No comments:

Post a Comment